My Family and Other Animals

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Hi our book club this month decided to have a theme, instead of everyone reading the same book. The theme was Jane Austen, whether that be a book written by her or something like the novel 'The Jane Austen Book Club' by Karen Joy Fowler or watch a DVD of a film of one of her books.
So I sat down and read Sense and Sensibility. As I had never read any of her books before I found it extremely interesting but at the same time, frustrating. Frustrating because of the writing style, but at the same time it was amazing that this book had been written and published in 1811 - exactly 200 years before!! The story is timeless. I really enjoyed reading this book, and can't wait to start reading some more. The sisters Elinor and Marianne certainly were as different as chalk and cheese. Elinor so calm and collected and so very sensible and Marianne - well she was very passionate, young and to me seemed quite impressionable. Her love for Willoughby was the same. While Elinor, seemed lost to love until Edward redeems himself and comes for her hand. I highly recommend this to anyone wanting to try there hand at reading one of the great classics.

Comments

Popular Posts