John Glew & Sarah Elwick
John GLEW is the 3rd Great Grandfather of my mother Elizabeth BYRNE nee GLEW
Family Group Sheet for JOHN GLEW
Husband: JOHN GLEW
Birth: 1759; Belton, Lincolnshire, England
Marriage: 06 May 1779 in HAXEY, LINCOLNSHIRE, ENG
Wife: SARAH ELWICK
Birth: 1758 in Owston, Lincolnshire, England
1 Name:John Glew **
Birth: 1779 in Walkeringham, Nottinghamshire, England
2 Name:William Glew
Birth: 1781 in Haxey,Lincolnshire, England
Marriage: 23 Apr 1806 in Haxey, Lincoln
Spouses: Mary Robinson
3 Name:Samuel Glew
Birth: 1784 in Haxey, Lincolnshire, England
Death: 19 Aug 1850 in South Kelsey, Lincolnshire, England
Marriage: Bef. 1813 in Barnby Dun, Yorkshire, UK
Spouses: Dinah Seaton (b: 1785)
4 Name:Alexander Elwick Glew
Birth: 02 Feb 1786 in Haxey, Lincolnshire, England
Marriage: 05 May 1806 in Kirk Sandall, Lincoln
Spouses: Sarah Chester
5 Name:Robert Glew
Birth: 31 Jul 1789 in Haxey, Lincolnshire, England
Marriage: 16 Oct 1820 in South Kelsey, Lincolnshire, England
Spouses: Jane Brown (b: 1791)
6 Name:Neville Glew
Birth: 27 Mar 1791 in Haxey, Lincolnshire, England
Death: 30 Mar 1857 in Lincolnshire, England
Marriage: 06 Jul 1815 in St. Nicholas Parish Church, Haxey, Lincolnshire, England
Spouses: Sarah Maw (b: 1794)
7 Name:Sarah Glew
Birth: 02 Jul 1814 in Barnby Dun, Yorkshire, UK
Death: 21 Jun 1868
Marriage: 27 May 1841 in Walesby, Lincolnshire, England
Spouses: Henry Barningham (b: Abt. 1816)
- The name Glew is an old name dating back before the Norman Conquest of England. It was originally spelt 'Gleaw", a descriptive word meaning 'wise & prudent'.
- ** John Glew was mentioned in his fathers will. Birth date is approx.
- William Glew details from a will: William Glew & wife Mary had a daughter who married a Mr Jackson, they had a son called Charley Jackson (a beneficiary of the will).
- Alexander Elwick Glew - recorded with spelling of surname as Glew or Glue. Christian name is recorded two different ways at birth - Elwick (Elwich).
- **Refer to letter from CML (relative) dated 9/5/2000. Her Ancestor is Alexander Elwick Glew who married Sarah Chester. Unless there were two Sarah Chesters who married an Elwick Glew, then I believe Elwick Glew is actually Alexander Elwick Glew.
- Neville Glew - surname shows as 'Glew or Ducker,' parents as 'John Glew or Ducker/Sarah'.
- Gravestone shows spelling of christian name as NEVEL.
- Sarah Glew also known as Sally.