My Family and Other Animals

'The Slap' by Christos Tsiolkas

When I first picked this book up, I read the first page and thought WOW, I like this book. After such a great beginning I was a bit disappointed when I was reading the middle of the book, but then it grabbed me and dragged me back into the storyline. I raced through the last quarter of the book and can say quite honestly that I really did enjoy it!! 

I sound a bit surprised even to myself. I guess the reason for my surprise is that I'm not overly interested in reading about some guy 'getting his jollys', I know it happens, but I don't want to read about it. I know - I'm a bit of a prude, but that's me. So all in all - yes I really did enjoy the book.

The book is about family life, sexuality, drugs, relationships. Central to the story is 'the slap'. Imagine, the family and friends are gathered in the back yard, having your typical BBQ. Zoom in and you see a young child throwing a tantrum. An adult, who is not one of his parents slaps him on the bottom, because he really is behaving atrociously, and is long over due one (or so I think). Imagine the following arguments when family and friends take sides. This story is weaved around the every day lives of the family and friends who were witness to this event.

I would recommend this story. I'm glad that I persevered and finished the book. It was well worth it.

Comments

Popular Posts