My Family and Other Animals

The Shepherds Hut by Tim Winton


I have just finished reading 'The Shepherds Hut' by Tim Winton. The language was different and in my opinion, 1950 - 60's Aussie lingo that you wouldn't hear anywhere but 'outback'. Its certainly not the language that I grew up with, but weirdly enough it felt very comfortable once I got into the rhythm of it. It sounded right, it fit the character and the country.

Its a story about hardship, violence and love. It tells the story about a young boy, Jaxie who has first hand experience about family violence. Who runs away after a life changing event, walking his way up to his girl.  On the way he comes across a priest called Fintin MacGillas, who is living in the bush 'because he knows something'. He befriends our young traveler and they become unlikely companions around the camp stove.  Until one error on the part of Jaxie brings trouble to Fintan.

I must tell you that when I finished the book I cursed Mr Winton for leaving me hanging like that. I wanted a different ending!!

I did really enjoy this book and highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for a decent yarn or likes Mr Winton.

Comments

Popular Posts