My Family and Other Animals

Stuffed Zucchini















2 Large Zucchini (try and make sure they are decent width)
Salt (to salt the Zucchini – see step 2)
2 -3 tablespoon butter
1 large onion
Diced garlic
1 cup diced bacon or ham
2 diced tomatoes
1 cup cooked rice
5-8 fresh mushrooms (sliced/diced)
Grated cheese for top
Some Chicken Stock powder - I use Massel brand as it is Gluten Free. About 1 -2 teaspoon of the powder (just add a little bit at a time and check if it suits your taste-buds)
Extra vegetables – i.e. frozen peas, corn, beans, cauliflower (small pieces), grated carrot – whatever vegetable you have or want to use


  1. Cut zucchini’s in half lengthwise & very carefully scoop out the centre leaving the shell (about 1 cm thickness)
  2. Salt well & allow to stand for 30 min (This is in the original recipe. I don’t always do this, it apparently removes any bitterness) - If you want, you can Skip Step 2
  3. Dice the zucchini centre
  4. Melt butter in deep fry pan
  5. Sauté bacon and onion until the onion is clear
  6. Add the zucchini centre, mushroom, tomatoes and any other veges that you have i.e. frozen peas, corn, beans, cauliflower (small pieces), grated carrot – what ever vegetable you have or want to use
  7. Once the vegetables look like they are nicely cooked, add the rice – a little at a time, so that you get the right mix.
  8. I add a bit more butter around about now – if you think it’s needed
  9. Have a taste and if it needs the chicken stock add a little bit at a time to get the right taste for you
  10. Rinse the zucchini if you have salted it and pat dry.
  11. Then put on a plate and microwave for about 3 ½ minutes to pre-cook the shell, otherwise they take forever in the oven (I put glad wrap or a plastic bag over them)
  12. Take them out the microwave and place them in an oven proof container and put the filling into the zucchini shells - I pack them tight
  13. Put some grated cheese over the top
  14. Sometimes I put foil over the top and put them in the oven on 180C for about 45 – 50 minutes; other times I put the oven on 220C (No foil) and put them in for about 20 -30 minutes or until the cheese browns nicely

I made this the other night and my daughters friend asked me to give her the recipe because it was so yummy!!  For some reason I always make cauliflower mornay with this dish. The two of them together are so nice.

I hope you enjoy the recipe. I have been making this for about 30 years now and have only once stuffed it up. Who knows what I did!! 

But believe me it is a very very easy recipe to make. And if you have left over rice mixture, just eat it by itself. I don't have any photos unfortunately - because we ate them before I could take a photo.

I now make it all gluten free and lactose free for my daughter and it tastes the same as normal.





Comments

Popular Posts