My Family and Other Animals

Gluten Free Recipe #1 - Mums Potato Cakes

Mums Potato Cakes


When we were kids Mum used to make us potato cakes with lots of tomato sauce for dipping them into. We loved them as kids and couldn't get enough of them. I have given them to my daughter over the years and they are still a favorite of hers.

You can make them plain as my Mum did, or add 'stuff ' as my daughter likes to, but no matter what you do they always taste great!

This morning instead of rice porridge my daughter felt like eggs. Now normally I would just make eggs and toast with a side serving of baked beans or bacon. But since she isn't fussed about the gluten free bread or for that matter bread as a whole, we decided to make plain old potato cakes.

So I took 3 smallish potatoes (each a little bit bigger than a large egg) and also a piece of sweet potato about the same size, and grated them all into a bowl.

Once grated, I added one (1) egg to the bowl and then some gluten free cornflour, before mixing them all together.

Meanwhile I placed a frypan on to heat with a bit of oil to make sure they didn't stick (as you can see I used two small pans today).

I put a small palm sized dollop into the pan and watched them cook. You want them nice and brown before you flip them over.

Once they are browned on both sides, plate them up and enjoy!!



Mums Potato Cakes 

1 x egg
3 x smallish potatoes (a bit bigger than your largest eggs)
1 x piece of sweet potato 
2 1/2 tablespoons Gluten Free Cornflour (mum used normal plain flour)
salt and pepper to season
1 -2 tablespoon of oil for frying pan

optional:
grate a small piece of zucchini into the mix
grate a little bit of red onion into the mix
use chia seeds instead of egg 

Grate the potatoes, add the egg and GF cornflour and mix well. Add to heated frying pan and flip once browned on one side. Once both sides are nicely browned, serve up with a fryed egg and beans on the side (we used Heinz baked beans which are gluten free). This serve made eight potato cakes, but on other days.....!!!  Hope you enjoy them.



Comments

Popular Posts