My Family and Other Animals

Naughty Two's

My daughters girlfriend has two adorable children. Born a year apart, one turned two last Sunday and the other turned one on Wednesday. The oldest, a boy likes to take his time, development wise. He was slow to crawl, and even slower to walk and now at two only has two maybe three words in his vocabulary. His favourite being 'No'!!

So to say that he is getting frustrated is an understatement! He tries to tell you what he wants, and is learning that pointing gets it sometimes, with perseverance on the adults behalf paying dividends the rest of the time. Though knowing the child's habits help as well. Look at the clock and you can tell most of the time what he wants - food!! And if its not that then it is a sleep for everyone!!!

So, because he is not articulating what he wants he is getting frustrated. Probably over the last 6 months we have been seeing this and are at a loss what to do, because he hits you and if that is not bad enough he also bites, pulls your hair and scratches as well as having a scream that has such a high pitch that you imagine the glass is about to break!!!

Reading on-line forum's you see that there is a range of suggestions from biting him back to putting him in a 'time out' corner, to sitting him down and talking to him and telling him that biting is naughty and that he is NOT allowed to do it!

Well, when my daughter was 2 - 2 1/2 years old, she bit me on my arm and I lent over and bit her back. Didn't make me feel too good doing it, but guess what?? It worked, because she never ever did it again to anyone.

Then you have my sister, who as a child was also a biter. She tells me that she enjoyed biting and being bitten back made no difference, neither did being smacked or told off!!

I have tried a smack on the bottom (though with a nappy to cover it, the smack is not too hard) and also put him in the 'naughty' corner for 1-3 minutes.

We have also tried biting him back to see if that will work. But he just chomps his teeth in harder and holds on.

I am getting exhausted and frustrated by his behaviour and I'm pretty sure his young mum is as well. Especially when his sister watches and learns from her big brother!!

Me thinks that I will attempt the talk, with a small smack on the bottom so he knows he has been naughty and also introduce a 'time out' corner instead of the 'naughty' corner.


Comments

Popular Posts