My Family and Other Animals

'Breakfast at Tiffany's" by Truman Capote

For the month of June, the book club that I belong to read Truman Capotes classic "Breakfast at Triffany's".
Having watched the movie a few years ago I was not sure what to expect.

To me Audrey Hepburn made the movie and as I read the 'novella' I could only hear  her voice and see only her image.  She was Holly Golightly.

When reading the book I suddenly asked myself "Is Holly a prostitute?" She seems to live on money that she is given by her male companions. I think she is, but prefers to attract rich clients, rather than just clients. I read that when they made the movie they down played this aspect of the story.  This could be why I had never picked up on this before.


 I must say I did enjoy the story, I think more so because for me the movie was watched first. Would certainly recommend it.

If you want to read more about the book/movie then here is a link to an interesting site http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bcash/breakfasthomepage.html

Comments

Popular Posts