My Family and Other Animals

Goodbye my friend

Today I received a message to tell me that a good friend and a work colleague had passed away.

Not even 3 weeks before she had called me to say that she had been to the doctor a few days before as she had a recurrent pain in the rib area.

Being a survivor of throat cancer she decided to listen to her body and go and visit her GP.

Fast forward a week and another call from her to say that the news was not good. She had lung cancer, and it was also in her spine and possibly other areas. The long and short was that even with treatment and pain medication she would have possibly no more than 6 months.

She decided to manage with just the pain medication. 

We worked together from about the year 1999 to 2018. We knew each other longer. We both had been in our roles for approx the same length of time and only 2 years separated us in length of service.

Twelve years older than me, she was a work colleague and a friend. We shared family secrets with each other; had so many laughs together and had a great working relationship. I admired her and looked up to her. She was a beautiful soul, with lots of understanding and compassion in her. She had so many funny sayings; so many times she bought a CD to work and before we started she would put something on to have a bit of a sing and dance to. We laughed so hard some times we thought we would wet ourselves; tears rolling down our faces and unable to do anything until we got ourselves (usually me) under control. 

I missed you so much when you retired (2) two years ago; I will miss you so much now that you are gone. 

Friendship is a Promise

Friendship is a promise spoken only by the heart, 

It isn't given by any pledge,  

It isn't written on any paper, 

But Friendship is a promise that is 

renewed every time two friends meet 

and smile and enjoy the good times 

that come from simply being together, 

It's a promise to share both 

glad and sad times, 

A promise to think of each other 

fondly whether near or far apart, 

Friendship is a promise spoken 

only by the heart, 

A promise that you and 

I will always share.


R.I.P my friend.

Georgina

12/05/1951 to 16/09/2020









Comments

Popular Posts