My Family and Other Animals

Coeliac Disease..... a bit of a rant

I find myself sending emails to random websites who make silly statements about Coeliac Disease!! I can't seem to help myself.

So was reading a lovely review about a wonderful place that does High Teas and also provides Gluten Free options.

And then.... I read a silly statement... "has a gluten intolerance verging on Coeliac Disease". OMG!!! Maybe its just me, yes I know its probably just me!! But ..........

Mmmm so, here is my rant.

Coeliac disease and a Gluten intolerance are not the "same same", they are "similar but different".

1. Coeliac Disease - if someone with CD ingests, comes into contact with or suffers from cross contamination during food preparation

a) they can show symptoms of being 'glutened' i.e. diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, stomach pain (mild to extreme), bloating, reflux.. you get the idea - any or all of this and more

b) they may be asymptomatic - meaning NO symptom at all

c) regardless of whether they have symptoms or not - the big thing is, damage is done to the Villi in the intestine. This can mean that it increases their risk of cancers and/or other auto immune diseases etc.

2. Gluten intolerance - if someone with GI ingests gluten, comes into contact with or suffers from cross contamination during food preparation

a) they can show symptoms i.e. diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, stomach pain, bloating, reflux etc

Now I'm not a doctor or a health professional and I'm not saying that they don't get sick, but as far as I can see the health risks are just not the same.

Soooooo, I've gotten it off my chest, and now I feel a lot better.

So don't just take my word, talk to your doctor or health professional. Read up on it, educating yourself is important. At the end of the day I'm just a mother with a daughter who has CD and possibly get a little bit (maybe a lot!) passionate about this subject at times.



Comments

Popular Posts