My Family and Other Animals

Elizabeth Byrne: My Recollections #6



Mum and Dad at Lisa's wedding

Dear Mum, I woke up thinking of you and missing you like crazy. You passed away 11 years ago today, but it seems like yesterday.

In this photo you are dancing with the love of your life and doing something that you were so good at - dancing.

I sat and had my breakfast reading back on my previous recollections, with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.

I clock watched this morning and when it was 8.50am the time seemed to slow down: 8.59am was when you passed away on the 16th December 2005.

I miss you just as much now as I did then. I thought you would be here forever!! I wish I had spent more time with you telling you how much I loved you.
 
Image result for rambling rose
The images of you in my mind are all mixed up. I prefer to remember you how you used to be before Alzheimer's got you in its grasp. In my mind you are still vibrant and full of life, not bed ridden and lost to us. 

As I sit here in tears writing to a memory, I try to remember all the love and laughter we had, but the sadness just creeps in and drowns it all out. 

We had a fabulous child hood and those memories will live in me forever. I just wish we had been able to look into the future to see how you would disappear from us. Even though it was gradual we thought we would have YOU for longer, but the disease grasped you and dragged you under its spell. Obliterating a wonderful mind - smart, funny and loving; leaving behind a crumbling facade.

I miss you - I love you - mwah xoxox
 


Comments

Popular Posts